OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) -- A lottery is being held this week for 334 licenses the state of Washington plans to issue for the recreational marijuana stores.
The state Liquor Control Board set up a lottery system using an accounting firm and Washington State University's Social and Economic Sciences Research Center.
A favorable rank in the lottery won't guarantee a license. Applicants still have to pass a background check, financial investigation and other requirements before any licenses are issued. The first retail sales are expected to begin in July, under Washington's recreational marijuana law.
- Displaced and desperate: 'I will never go back to Marawi'
- Neighboring houses catch fire in Pasco
- Woman's body found on park trail in Everett
- Store clerks and customers disarm robber, hold suspect down until police arrive
- Accidental shooting at child's party leaves 1 man hurt
- Woman dies in highway crash in Yakima