I-84 remains closed between Ontario at Exit 374 and Exit 159 (west of Boardman) due to area-wide freezing rain, snow, high winds and zero visibility in some areas between Baker City and Portland.
Westbound travelers in Idaho are encouraged to stay off I-84 and not continue towards Ontario.
I-84 is also closed through the Columbia Gorge between Troutdale (MP 17) and Hood River (MP 64). I-82 is also closed in Oregon between I-84 and Umatilla (Washington border).
KEY REMINDERS FOR TRAVELERS: 1) Alternate routes are not recommended as severe weather and road conditions are wide-spread across central and eastern Oregon.
2) There are no safe truck parking areas left in Ontario and drivers are encouraged to stay where they are and not continue westbound towards Ontario. You may have to turn back.
3) Hotels are filling up, or full in the Ontario area.
4) Based on the weather forecast and current conditions, this is anticipated to be a long term closure. While this is frustrating for travelers and commercial haulers, the severe storm has already contributed to numerous crashes and trailers blown over. Wind gusts are reported in some areas at 80 mph. Blowing snow is creating blizzard-like conditions. Ice, snow and the high winds are impacting numerous highways. Most state routes have been closed in Union and Umatilla Counties. Other highways are also shut down.
Continue to check TripCheck.com for update highway closure status and check local weather reports. ODOT will open routes when it is safe to do so. STAY OFF HIGHWAYS, STAY SAFE.
- Yakama Nation's fuel tax exemption sought by state
- Yakima's end of Ramadan celebration
- Hit-and-run sends Wapato man to hospital
- Domestic Violence Services seeks air mattress donations
- Walla Walla General Hospital breaks its silence following closure announcement
- State responds to letter from West Richland regarding pot shop location