The Snag Canyon Fire, located 12 miles northwest of Ellensburg, has grown significantly to an estimated 6,400 acres.
Gusty west winds pushed the fire to the east past Naneum Canyon.
There are approximately 450 personnel. The Washington State Patrol has approved a State Mobilization: six strike teams of structure protection engines (a total of 30 engines) have been requested from across the state to assist Kittitas Valley Fire and Rescue. Fire crews are aggressively fighting this fire, but continue to be concerned about the weather forecast and fuel conditions.
The Kittitas County Sheriff's office updated the road closures: Cooke Canyon Road and Colockum Pass Road are closed at Gage Road. They are open to local residents only. Schnebly Road is closed at the gate.
The evacuation level for Sun East was lowered to a Level 2 at noon today. Only Sun East residents in the non-burned area will be allowed past the roadblock at Smithson Road and Robbins Road. Residents will need to check in with Sheriff's Office personnel stationed at the roadblock, and all residents are asked to stay off the roads as much as possible in consideration of fire personnel and equipment still mopping up hot spots. Residences affected by the fire can contact the Kittitas County EOC at 509-933-9305 for more information, or visit the county website for updates and evacuation maps at https://www.co.kittitas.wa.us
- Controversial Prosser librarian speaks out on immigration at local town hall
- St. Paul school in Yakima may soon relocate
- Former manager of the closed Black Angus is getting a new chance
- Tri-Tech students compete in Welding Wars
- Bob Hall Dealership's ‘Change is Good' campaign funding kid's ideas
- Brown scores major wins for Tri-Cities in Senate capital budget