The Richland High School Cheer Squad are state champions. The nine-member squad earned first place in the 4A small/medium non-tumbling division at the WIAA Washington State Cheer Championships February 1 in Seattle. This is the first year that the school has ever fielded a competition cheer squad.
“Nine of our girls volunteered to join the competition team. They started practicing their routine in October and their goal was to qualify for state,” said Coach Keshia Nickle. “These girls worked hard and made history by being the first Bomber Cheer Team to compete. I am very proud of them.”
Members of the Richland High state championship squad are Mel Markel, Courtney Kent, Chelsea Sanders, Jenna Damberg, Taylor Dean, Kitana Kaiphanliam, Priscilla Medina, Harlee Mitchell, Kayla Brown, and Coach Nickle.
Helping the squad achieve success were: choreographers/stunt coaches - Beth Millard and Chris Diaz; assistant coaches - Donna deBit and Ashlie Martin; extra support - Phillip Nickle and Zoey Elle Nickle.
- Why North Korea, US don't want all-out war
- Ousted South Korean president's confidante sentenced
- Vulnerable pets earn second chance at life with generous donation
- Lineup ready for Yakima's Apple Jam talent search
- Burning of garbage cause of West Valley fire
- Camp Hope in Yakima sticking around until possibly November