HERMISTON, Ore. - A 2-year-old is in critical condition after a 7-year-old sibling shot the child in the head by accident, Hermiston police said.
The incident happened on Friday just before 5 p.m. police said the child was transported to Good Shepard hospital and remains in critical condition.
To protect the identity of those involved, police are not releasing any more details.
“It goes without saying that this is an incredibly horrible incident for the involved family, the officers who responded, the medical professionals who treated the child and the community as a whole,” police said in a statement.
They are urging the public to keep firearms locked up and stored in a safe manner to prevent similar incidents from happening in the future.
'I am...fashionable to hate': Immigrant moves crowd at local Islamic Center
Benton county commissioners urge state to shut down West Richland pot shop
- Benton county commissioners urge state to shut down West Richland pot shop
- Opioid epidemic affecting Washington, AG asks for more restrictions
- Local church selling Christmas trees to fight child hunger
- Winter shelter for homeless young adults needs volunteers to open
- Heritage University awarded $6.3 million, biggest donation in its history