A space heater malfunction this morning causes thousands of dollars in damage to a Yakima home's basement.
It happened just before 5 on the 500 block of South Naches Avenue.
Firefighters say six people were awoken by the smell of smoke coming from the basement area.
All six people were able to get out of the house, crews arrived and rescued four dogs.
Crews quickly extinguished the fire shortly after -- damage is estimated at about $30,000.
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome
- Oregon woman pleads guilty to assaulting passenger on flight
- Prosser school bus driver facing backlash for religious signs
- Bills aim to aid job seekers with criminal history
- Police: Naked man destroys home in Edmonds