A space heater malfunction this morning causes thousands of dollars in damage to a Yakima home's basement.
It happened just before 5 on the 500 block of South Naches Avenue.
Firefighters say six people were awoken by the smell of smoke coming from the basement area.
All six people were able to get out of the house, crews arrived and rescued four dogs.
Crews quickly extinguished the fire shortly after -- damage is estimated at about $30,000.
- 'It tears me up:' Trophy shop immortalizes fallen soldiers
- Authorities search for man lost in the Yakima River
- Fire officials urge public to use caution when burning outdoors
- Ride Transit Month: Environmental benefits
- Crews battle fire on I-82 East outside of Prosser
- Multiple injuries in 2 vehicle collision on Clearwater