A space heater malfunction this morning causes thousands of dollars in damage to a Yakima home's basement.
It happened just before 5 on the 500 block of South Naches Avenue.
Firefighters say six people were awoken by the smell of smoke coming from the basement area.
All six people were able to get out of the house, crews arrived and rescued four dogs.
Crews quickly extinguished the fire shortly after -- damage is estimated at about $30,000.
- State lawmakers pull all-nighter to try to reach budget deal, avert government shutdown
- Elderly woman found dead floating in pool
- Three juveniles crash car after robbing market at gunpoint
- Lightning strikes Richland home, burns entire top floor
- Petition against cannabis shop gains traction
- Washington hosting 100 community fireworks displays on 4th of July