A space heater malfunction this morning causes thousands of dollars in damage to a Yakima home's basement.
It happened just before 5 on the 500 block of South Naches Avenue.
Firefighters say six people were awoken by the smell of smoke coming from the basement area.
All six people were able to get out of the house, crews arrived and rescued four dogs.
Crews quickly extinguished the fire shortly after -- damage is estimated at about $30,000.
- Inmate populations in Yakima County climbing fast
- Home improvement scams on the rise this Spring
- Two police officers promoted in ceremony in West Richland
- Uber driver waits for Pasco city approval
- UPDATE: Community debates Prosser SD staff's actions
- Yakima city leaders still working on an "inclusive public safety ordinance'