A suspect and victim in Tuesday's shooting death near Hermiston have been identified.
The shooting, which took the life of 25-year-old Daniel Dechand, occurred just before 1 p.m. on Sunshine Lane, northwest of Hermiston.
The shooter has been identified as 22-year-old Timothy Kelly of Irrigon. His whereabouts are unknown, but authorities continue to look for him.
The investigation revealed that Kelly was picked up while walking along Highland Avenue near Hermiston in a 1992 Chevrolet Blazer. The two men apparently knew each other. The men drove through Hermiston and out to Sunshine Lane where the shooting took place inside the vehicle. It's still not clear why Kelly shot Dechand.
The driver of the vehicle, 51-year-old David Newton of Irrigon drove Dechand to the hospital following the shooting, but Kelly got out and took off on foot near the location of the shooting.
The Umatilla County Sheriff's Office with the assistance of the Major Crimes Team and the District Attorney's Office is still processing evidence, conducting interviews and trying to locate Kelly.
Anyone having information on Kelly's whereabouts is urged to contact the Umatilla County Sheriff's Office at 541-966-3651.
- Elderly woman found dead floating in pool
- Three juveniles crash car after robbing market at gunpoint
- Lightning strikes Richland home, burns entire top floor
- Petition against cannabis shop gains traction
- Washington hosting 100 community fireworks displays on 4th of July
- Firework stands open up on tribal land