A suspect and victim in Tuesday's shooting death near Hermiston have been identified.
The shooting, which took the life of 25-year-old Daniel Dechand, occurred just before 1 p.m. on Sunshine Lane, northwest of Hermiston.
The shooter has been identified as 22-year-old Timothy Kelly of Irrigon. His whereabouts are unknown, but authorities continue to look for him.
The investigation revealed that Kelly was picked up while walking along Highland Avenue near Hermiston in a 1992 Chevrolet Blazer. The two men apparently knew each other. The men drove through Hermiston and out to Sunshine Lane where the shooting took place inside the vehicle. It's still not clear why Kelly shot Dechand.
The driver of the vehicle, 51-year-old David Newton of Irrigon drove Dechand to the hospital following the shooting, but Kelly got out and took off on foot near the location of the shooting.
The Umatilla County Sheriff's Office with the assistance of the Major Crimes Team and the District Attorney's Office is still processing evidence, conducting interviews and trying to locate Kelly.
Anyone having information on Kelly's whereabouts is urged to contact the Umatilla County Sheriff's Office at 541-966-3651.
- Controversial Prosser librarian speaks out on immigration at local town hall
- St. Paul school in Yakima may soon relocate
- Former manager of the closed Black Angus is getting a new chance
- Tri-Tech students compete in Welding Wars
- Bob Hall Dealership's ‘Change is Good' campaign funding kid's ideas
- Brown scores major wins for Tri-Cities in Senate capital budget