Emergency responders determined that a white powdery substance received this afternoon in an envelope at the Two Rivers Correctional Institution (TRCI) mail room was not hazardous.
Around 2:30 p.m. today, the TRCI mail room reported receiving the envelope with the unknown substance. The mail room area was secured and the administration building evacuated. Hermiston Hazardous Materials Unit and the Umatilla Fire and Rescue responded to evaluate the powder for any hazardous substances. No employees reported any adverse reactions.
The mail room is located inside the administration building, where 18 to 20 staff members normally work each day. Several staff members were in the mail room at the time the substance was found. The institution is operating as normal.
TRCI is a medium and minimum security facility in Umatilla that houses approximately 1,800 men in custody. It provides a range of correctional services and programs, including education, treatment programs, pre-release and transitional services, and work opportunities. TRCI opened in March 2000.
- Domestic Violence Services seeks air mattress donations
- Walla Walla General Hospital breaks its silence following closure announcement
- State responds to letter from West Richland regarding pot shop location
- Trios Health offers fraud protection over patient data breach
- Northwest Food n Brew with Mike Gonzalez debuts Saturday on KAPP/KVEW
- Washington seeks to overturn tribe's fuel tax exemption