A 2013 Southridge High School graduate, who is now a freshman kicker at Willamette University south of Portland is making headlines tonight.
Conner Mertens posted a letter on Twitter yesterday saying he's bi-sexual.
By coming out, he's become the first college football player to come out while currently playing.
Aside from making his announcement, he also had this to say: "Many people have discouraged me from making this public statement, but I see this as an important step in my life and hopefully the life of our community. I come from a small town that I love. I have seen the best and worst sides of the Tri-Cities. Unfortunately, we are a little behind the world on our perception of what it means to like the same-sex. We have a responsibility to reject harmful sterotypes."
Mertens has informed his team and online reports from Yahoo! and Outsports.com indicate that so far he has not met any backlash by coming out.
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome
- Oregon woman pleads guilty to assaulting passenger on flight
- Prosser school bus driver facing backlash for religious signs
- Bills aim to aid job seekers with criminal history
- Police: Naked man destroys home in Edmonds