It was a long night for the Benton County Sheriff’s Office, Kennewick Police department and the Tri-City Regional SWAT Team, after they located a suspect involved in a burglary that occurred where firearms were stolen earlier this week.
Detectives found that the alleged suspect, 31 year-old Dustin Smith barricaded himself inside an attic of a residence on the 7100 block of W. 3rd Place.
After a six hour standoff with police the Tri-City Regional SWAT Team contacted and took Smith into custody, but not without a challenge.
"It takes time to get through there and you know with all the insulation and everything else up there it takes time but they were able to locate him and take him into custody safely, " Sergeant of Benton County Sherriff’s office Erik Magnuson said.
Law enforcement worked collectively and strategically for several hours to avoid the use of lethal force.
No one was hurt in this incident.
- Annual Fire Ops Training shows daily work of a firefighter
- 86-year-old Selah man struck, killed by SUV while driving scooter
- Police trying to identify 2 suspects involved in credit card skimming at Shell station
- Pasco police chief concerned about the identity of potential Uber drivers
- Richland begins construction of second dog park
- WSP to crack down on studded tires