A fiery head-on crash near Mattawa involving two dump trucks claimed the lives of two Yakima area men today.
Grant County Sheriff’s Deputies and emergency responders from Grant County Fire District 8 were called about 9:30 a.m. to County Road O-Southwest and County Road 27-Southwest, about four miles southeast of Mattawa. Arriving units found two dump trucks which had collided and caught fire.
Investigators determined a 2007 Peterbilt dump truck loaded with gravel and driven by Bruce Patnode, 53 of Yakima was headed northbound on Road O-SW approaching Road 27-SW. Patnode’s truck crossed the centerline and crashed head-on with a southbound 2000 Kenworth dump truck towing a dump trailer driven by Dale Peters, 45 of Selah. Both Patnode and Peters were ejected from their trucks and died at the scene. The trucks burst into flames.
The bodies are in the care of Grant County Coroner Craig Morrison. Next of kin have been notified.
The Grant County Sheriff’s Office Motor Traffic Unit is investigating.
- Garage fire takes the lives of one dog and three parrots
- Prosser School District includes ACLU suggestions in new social media policy
- Distracted driving advocate opposes petition to loosen rules
- Citizens go behind the scenes with law enforcement
- Water Follies set-up begins this week in Columbia Park
- Port of Kennewick partnership awarded by Governor Inslee