A fiery head-on crash near Mattawa involving two dump trucks claimed the lives of two Yakima area men today.
Grant County Sheriff’s Deputies and emergency responders from Grant County Fire District 8 were called about 9:30 a.m. to County Road O-Southwest and County Road 27-Southwest, about four miles southeast of Mattawa. Arriving units found two dump trucks which had collided and caught fire.
Investigators determined a 2007 Peterbilt dump truck loaded with gravel and driven by Bruce Patnode, 53 of Yakima was headed northbound on Road O-SW approaching Road 27-SW. Patnode’s truck crossed the centerline and crashed head-on with a southbound 2000 Kenworth dump truck towing a dump trailer driven by Dale Peters, 45 of Selah. Both Patnode and Peters were ejected from their trucks and died at the scene. The trucks burst into flames.
The bodies are in the care of Grant County Coroner Craig Morrison. Next of kin have been notified.
The Grant County Sheriff’s Office Motor Traffic Unit is investigating.
- Tri-Cities Craft Beer Festival this weekend
- BMCC seeks new men's head basketball coach
- Richland homeowners still waiting to file insurance claims after flooding
- New homeless men's facility kicks off in Pasco
- Family of the 14-year-old shot and killed in Yakima mourning his death
- Richland Public Library helps to expand STEAM education