COLFAX, WA - Two people were killed and two people were injured this morning in a car vs. semi crash on US 195 two miles south of Colfax. According to the Washington State Patrol, 21-year-old Erica Polito-Mosso of Tonasket was driving a 1999 Volkswagen Jetta northbound near milepost 36 when she lost control of the vehicle and spun into the southbound lanes. The car was then struck in the back by a southbound 2004 Freightliner tractor with two trailers, driven by 54-year-old Virgil Baumgarden of Spokane Valley. Baumgarden was not injured in the crash, which was reported at 4:46 a.m.
Polito-Mosso was transported via MedStar to Sacred Heart Medical Center, while another passenger - 22-year-old Carmen Gomez-Villalpando of Walla Walla was transported to Whitman Hospital and Medical Center in Colfax.
Two other passengers - 21-year-old Nancy Zepeda-Zarate of Quincy and 21-year-old Ashley Gonzalez of Pasco - died at the scene. One of the passengers was ejected, according to WSP. Neither of the deceased were wearing seatbelts, while all of the others involved were.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation and charges are pending.
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome
- Oregon woman pleads guilty to assaulting passenger on flight
- Prosser school bus driver facing backlash for religious signs
- Bills aim to aid job seekers with criminal history
- Police: Naked man destroys home in Edmonds