From the Umatilla Co. Sheriff's Office --
Echo, Oregon ‐ The Umatilla County Sheriff’s office is saddened to report the death of a white adult female. At about 8:00 am, on June 9, 2014, a report came in to the Sheriff’s Office dispatch center regarding a report that a subject, Daniel Lee Smith (30) told his friend that he killed his girlfriend. It was learned Smith was living in a camp trailer at 75795 Leezer Avenue, just west of the City of Echo. Deputies responded to the area, but were unable to find Smith.
A further search of the property occurred and the body of a white adult female was discovered. The Umatilla/Morrow county crimes team was activated.
At about 11:45 am, shortly after the discovery of the body, Deputies and Detectives responded to Main Street Market in Stanfield and took Smith into custody without incident.
“Smith is being detained at this point, while investigators look further into the matter.” Sheriff Terry Rowan said. “We have to determine the nature of the death and conduct a full investigation before charges can be filed.”
The name of the victim is being withheld until family can be notified. The cause of death has not been determined, but the Major Crimes Team will be contacting the Medical examiner’s office for their assistance.
Detectives from Umatilla and Morrow County Sheriff’s Office, Oregon State Police, Hermiston Police Department, Stanfield Police Department and the District Attorney’s Office is continuing the
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome
- Oregon woman pleads guilty to assaulting passenger on flight
- Prosser school bus driver facing backlash for religious signs
- Bills aim to aid job seekers with criminal history
- Police: Naked man destroys home in Edmonds