PENDLETON, Ore. (AP) - The Umatilla City Council plans to choose a new mayor early next month.
The East Oregonian reports the council approved a plan this week to accept applications up until a meeting on May 2. Candidates will be questioned that evening and the council will select someone to fill the vacancy.
Former Mayor David Trott resigned just over a month ago, citing irreconcilable differences with the council.
The new mayor will complete the remainder of Trott's term, which expires at the end of 2018.
The council also paid tribute to Staff Sgt. Austin Bieren. The 25-year-old died in Syria last week while serving as an Air Force security forces airman. Police chief Darla Huxel said: "We lost a hero."
Information from: East Oregonian, http://www.eastoregonian.com
- Goats return to manage levee vegetation along Mill Creek
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Thrift store and non-profit continues fight against homelessness
- Police arrest suspect in murder of 14-year-old boy
- Man charged with assaulting 7-week-old daughter
- 10-year-old donates earnings to shooting victim's family