Crews worked overnight to patrol and mop up the Monument Road Fire in Walla Walla County.
They are continuing patrol and mop up this morning and hoping to release control back to Walla Walla County Fire District #1 later today.
Some abandoned structures were lost to the fire, but the property owner indicated that the structures were of no value. A cell tower was not destroyed, as previously reported, however the fire did burn around a radio repeater tower. The repeater tower was not damaged.
Nine power poles were destroyed by the fire resulting in nine household and/or pump outages.
The Monument Road fire started Wednesday at around 5:30 AM near Lower Monumental Road and Wooden Road. The fire quickly grew from an initial report of 5,000 acres to its present estimated size of 20,500 due to high winds, which pushed the fire northeast towards Ayer Road.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome
- Oregon woman pleads guilty to assaulting passenger on flight
- Prosser school bus driver facing backlash for religious signs
- Bills aim to aid job seekers with criminal history
- Police: Naked man destroys home in Edmonds