Crews worked overnight to patrol and mop up the Monument Road Fire in Walla Walla County.
They are continuing patrol and mop up this morning and hoping to release control back to Walla Walla County Fire District #1 later today.
Some abandoned structures were lost to the fire, but the property owner indicated that the structures were of no value. A cell tower was not destroyed, as previously reported, however the fire did burn around a radio repeater tower. The repeater tower was not damaged.
Nine power poles were destroyed by the fire resulting in nine household and/or pump outages.
The Monument Road fire started Wednesday at around 5:30 AM near Lower Monumental Road and Wooden Road. The fire quickly grew from an initial report of 5,000 acres to its present estimated size of 20,500 due to high winds, which pushed the fire northeast towards Ayer Road.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- Authorities search for man lost in the Yakima River
- Fire officials urge public to use caution when burning outdoors
- Ride Transit Month: Environmental benefits
- Crews battle fire on I-82 East outside of Prosser
- Multiple injuries in 2 vehicle collision on Clearwater
- Arizona prosecutor wants jail time for Vikings WR Floyd