Crews worked overnight to patrol and mop up the Monument Road Fire in Walla Walla County.
They are continuing patrol and mop up this morning and hoping to release control back to Walla Walla County Fire District #1 later today.
Some abandoned structures were lost to the fire, but the property owner indicated that the structures were of no value. A cell tower was not destroyed, as previously reported, however the fire did burn around a radio repeater tower. The repeater tower was not damaged.
Nine power poles were destroyed by the fire resulting in nine household and/or pump outages.
The Monument Road fire started Wednesday at around 5:30 AM near Lower Monumental Road and Wooden Road. The fire quickly grew from an initial report of 5,000 acres to its present estimated size of 20,500 due to high winds, which pushed the fire northeast towards Ayer Road.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- Senate Passes construction budget
- Trios Health to layoff employees due to debt
- Brothers face murder trial together in Pasco slaying
- Murder suspect was flirting with women at his slain wife's funeral, witness said
- Final Four teams begin preparations for semis in Arizona
- ICE officers arrest over 80 foreign nationals in Pacific Northwest