OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) -- Nearly 3,000 businesses in Washington may receive refunds of a $125 fee they mistakenly paid, thinking it was a government requirement.
The attorney general's office is suing the Mandatory Poster Agency for about $360,000 in restitution, plus penalties that could amount to millions more.
The office says Mandatory Poster Agency sent businesses an official-looking document saying they owed the fee to satisfy corporate requirements. No such fee is required.
- Swedish hostage released after 6 years
- New non-profit Service Peace Warriors trains service dogs for veterans
- Local business owner helping maintain Yakima's landmark sign
- Residents lose everything in apartment fire over the weekend
- 'It tears me up:' Trophy shop immortalizes fallen soldiers
- Authorities search for man lost in the Yakima River