Police were called out to a duplex on the 1300 block 12th Avenue just before 5.
Officers initially responded to an assault call, but were then advised of smoke coming from the home.
A neighbor, who didn't want us to be identified, describes what she witnessed.
"It sounded like there was a fight going on next door," said "Jennifer," "We got up and called 911, but we didn't know there was a fire going on until after the police officer told us to get out of our house."
Police say 48 year old Stuart Bachman and his girlfriend, 55 year old Elva Grant, were arguing before he assaulted her, poured a fluid on her, and lit her on fire.
Grant suffered burns to a quarter of her body, prompting paramedics to send her to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle to be treated at the burn center.
Bachman fled from the scene, but was arrested a few hours later.
Firefighters were able to keep the fire contained to the single apartment.
Grant's neighbor says she often hears the two fighting, but never thought it would go this far.
"She's a good person, it's just that she got with a bad person who only decided to do bad stuff to her," said "Jennifer."
A single bedroom in the duplex was gutted by the fire, the rest of the home suffered smoke damage -- the second unit was not damaged by the fire.
- Teacher accused of having sex with student heads to trial
- Police kill machete-wielding man in Des Moines
- Police ask for help to locate missing 76-year-old Yakima man
- Oregon Senate approves raising legal tobacco age to 21
- Tri-Cities Craft Beer Festival coming to Kennewick on Apr. 29
- Walla Walla homeless camp to move to Fort Walla Walla park