Hundreds of women in Yakima get a look at technology jobs available at the Women in Technology day, at Perry technical Institute.
The annual event features presentations by several female graduates of the school who have gone on to have successful careers in their fields -- it's meant to encourage interested students to try out some of the 11 different programs the school has to offer.
One graduate says she hopes to inspire more women to enter the technical workforce.
"Technology is one of those things often times you don't think about as being a primary career path, for us, allowing us the opportunity to get into technology, and instilling the skills that perry does here allows us to step above and beyond in the market place," said Marney Spurgin.
The school says 8 years ago, the student body was less than 6 percent female, today, about 20 percent of the student body is female.
- Richland extends Benton County jail contract
- First eating disorder treatment program begins in Kennewick
- Jury hears interview with defendant during retrial for former police officer accused of rape
- 4 arrested after Walmart shoplifting in Pasco
- Officials warn increased wood debris to float down lower Columbia River
- Evidence builds as witnesses testify in Beckford murder trial