Hundreds of women in Yakima get a look at technology jobs available at the Women in Technology day, at Perry technical Institute.
The annual event features presentations by several female graduates of the school who have gone on to have successful careers in their fields -- it's meant to encourage interested students to try out some of the 11 different programs the school has to offer.
One graduate says she hopes to inspire more women to enter the technical workforce.
"Technology is one of those things often times you don't think about as being a primary career path, for us, allowing us the opportunity to get into technology, and instilling the skills that perry does here allows us to step above and beyond in the market place," said Marney Spurgin.
The school says 8 years ago, the student body was less than 6 percent female, today, about 20 percent of the student body is female.
- Camp Hope in Yakima sticking around until possibly November
- Funding for Yakima downtown plaza once again a problem
- Healthcare providers bracing for hospital closure in Walla Walla
- Wapato public swimming pool set to open for summer
- Pasco officer donates car seats to vehicle theft victims
- Oregon joins states where roadkill can be harvested for food