Work is underway to put out the underground fire at the Pasco Sanitary Landfill.
Contractors have installed a temporary engineered cover and have added an additional foot of soil on the ground above the fire.
The state Department of Ecology says the cover will prevent further oxygen from reaching the fire and will also help trap carbon dioxide.
It may take several weeks to completely extinguish the fire which has been burning since November of last year.
In April, the Department of Ecology issued an enforcement order to the parties responsible for cleaning up the landfill in hopes of expediting efforts to extinguish the fire.
- Home Builders Association warns flood victims of scams and provides tips
- Annual Fire Ops Training shows daily work of a firefighter
- 86-year-old Selah man struck, killed by SUV while driving scooter
- Police trying to identify 2 suspects involved in credit card skimming at Shell station
- Pasco police chief concerned about the identity of potential Uber drivers
- Richland begins construction of second dog park