Work is underway to put out the underground fire at the Pasco Sanitary Landfill.
Contractors have installed a temporary engineered cover and have added an additional foot of soil on the ground above the fire.
The state Department of Ecology says the cover will prevent further oxygen from reaching the fire and will also help trap carbon dioxide.
It may take several weeks to completely extinguish the fire which has been burning since November of last year.
In April, the Department of Ecology issued an enforcement order to the parties responsible for cleaning up the landfill in hopes of expediting efforts to extinguish the fire.
- Bud Clary Toyota of Yakima supports student attendance with bicycle give away
- Pilot escapes plane crash unharmed
- UK Parliament hit by cyberattack
- Early morning Tanglewood Apartment fire displaces multiple families
- Pasco Fire & Rescue train for distressed swimmer rescue
- First cannabis-infused massage studio opens in the Tri-Cities