(Olympia) - Washington State Patrol (WSP) wants to warn people that there is a phone scam occurring in Washington State requesting people to give their Social Security Number when they call an (813) Florida area code phone number as part of an identity theft investigation.
WSP has received reports of individuals getting phone calls from people identifying themselves as an official from the “Washington State Police” and the “U.S. Justice Office.” The callers are requesting people to “call today” to an (813) area code number in Florida to confirm their social security number.
Identity thieves pose as businesses, banks, or government representatives in order to obtain your personal information. They may appear to be legitimate and convincing. Never reveal your information to anyone you do not know. WSP recommends if called by someone representing themselves as a WSP employee and asking for your personal identity information, to call a local WSP office to confirm the caller is an employee with the agency and to contact the office they work in for why they need your information.
- Turkey blocks Wikipedia over what it calls terror 'smear campaign'
- Rattlesnakes come out of hibernation in the Tri-Cities
- Community members spread messages of acceptance outside of Prosser school
- Community scared after recent violence in Yakima
- Goats return to manage levee vegetation along Mill Creek
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties