(Olympia) - Washington State Patrol (WSP) wants to warn people that there is a phone scam occurring in Washington State requesting people to give their Social Security Number when they call an (813) Florida area code phone number as part of an identity theft investigation.
WSP has received reports of individuals getting phone calls from people identifying themselves as an official from the “Washington State Police” and the “U.S. Justice Office.” The callers are requesting people to “call today” to an (813) area code number in Florida to confirm their social security number.
Identity thieves pose as businesses, banks, or government representatives in order to obtain your personal information. They may appear to be legitimate and convincing. Never reveal your information to anyone you do not know. WSP recommends if called by someone representing themselves as a WSP employee and asking for your personal identity information, to call a local WSP office to confirm the caller is an employee with the agency and to contact the office they work in for why they need your information.
- Robot finds first sign of melted fuel in submerged reactor
- 29 dead in Kabul car bomb attack claimed by Taliban
- Yakima students receive free school supplies
- Fire crews work through the night to contain wildfire at Yakima training center
- No more holding cell phones with new driving law in effect
- Former McCain rival suggests he resign because of cancer