YAKIMA, Wash. - A member of the Yakima City Council is under investigation following a crash over the weekend in which alcohol may have been a factor, according to prosecuting attorney Joseph Brusic.
Carmen Mendez, 29, was involved in an injury accident that took place Sunday night, though there have not been charges or citations issued, the Yakima Herald-Republic reports.
According to Yakima County prosecuting attorney Joseph Brusic, Mendez had alcohol in her system on Sunday night when she was arrested and later released.
The prosecuting attorney is looking into allegations that alcohol was a factor. Those allegations have not been confirmed.
As a council member Mendez has a relationship with the Yakima Police department. To ensure there isn't a conflict of interest in the investigation Washington State Patrol will work alongside the Yakima Police Department.
Mendez attended the Yakima City Council meeting Tuesday night and when our reporters asked her if she would like to comment on the recent allegations she kept it very brief.
KVEW also asked other council members if they would like to comment and they declined as well.
- Kennewick installs outdoor fitness center at local park
- Humane society still hoping to get guinea pigs adopted
- Tri-Cities Cancer Center awared for their "Be A Man" video
- Authorities seek to arrest suspected child molester
- Woman with 42 cats in car might have known they were sick
- Seattle mayor adds diet pop to proposed soda tax