The Yakima County Sheriff's Office arrests 29-year-old Marisela Avila-Alaniz of Cowiche for allegedly assaulting a child.
The suspect was the child care provider who had custody of a 17-month-old child who deputies say was found to have a decreased level of consciousness when found Thursday afternoon on the 16000 block of Summitview Road.
The child was transported by ambulance to a Yakima area hospital where an attending physician concluded that the child was suffering from a brain hemorrhage that was not consistent with a fall. The child was then airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle where the child remains in critical but stable condition.
The suspect told investigators that she had become frustrated while caring for the child and was rough in her handling of the child.
- 3 young children, 2 adults injured in wrong way collision on I-82
- Portland police detain people in downtown protest
- Gonzaga won't cancel Friday classes for Final Four
- State agency says more funds needed to fight wildfires
- Portion of S.R. 821 to close Saturday for Yakima River Canyon Marathon
- Portland-based comedian to perform at Hermiston Chamber luncheon