Yakima has two-thirds the amount of total police and emergency dispatchers than are normally on staff.
The call center can employ a 32 person staff, but right now - the city is down 9 dispatchers.
We are told the emergency response is still meeting the needs of the community, but many of the employees are working overtime while eight potential dispatchers are being trained.
That training can take anywhere from three months to one year.
- Store clerks and customers disarm robber, hold suspect down until police arrive
- Accidental shooting at child's party leaves 1 man hurt
- Woman dies in highway crash in Yakima
- Man shot by deputy in Burien was carrying pen, not knife
- Lawsuit filed following police shooting in Washington state
- 5 year old girl found unconscious in pool