Yakima has two-thirds the amount of total police and emergency dispatchers than are normally on staff.
The call center can employ a 32 person staff, but right now - the city is down 9 dispatchers.
We are told the emergency response is still meeting the needs of the community, but many of the employees are working overtime while eight potential dispatchers are being trained.
That training can take anywhere from three months to one year.
- Local youth refugee performance works to inspire positive change
- Community rallies behind Meals on Wheels
- Store owners on high alert due to shoplifting spike in Kennewick
- Wildlife, forestry groups presenting in Yakima for 4-day convention
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome