The Yakima City Council is expected tonight to approve an insurance settlement of $250,000 with the family of a man killed by a driver fleeing police in a stolen pickup truck.
The payment would resolve the claim from the family of 29-year-old Pascual Ayala who was killed in 2010 along with his girlfriend, Marina Barajas.
The fleeing driver responsible for the crash, Shaun Kollman, was sentenced to 51 years in prison.
If the council says the agreement is acceptable, the city's insurance carrier will pay the full settlement amount -- no taxpayer dollars will be used.
- Local youth refugee performance works to inspire positive change
- Community rallies behind Meals on Wheels
- Store owners on high alert due to shoplifting spike in Kennewick
- Wildlife, forestry groups presenting in Yakima for 4-day convention
- 1st annual Plowing Bee and Horse Spectacular still taking place despite recent flooding
- WIAA Drill and Dance Championships arrive at the Yakima Valley Sundome