The Yakima City Council is expected tonight to approve an insurance settlement of $250,000 with the family of a man killed by a driver fleeing police in a stolen pickup truck.
The payment would resolve the claim from the family of 29-year-old Pascual Ayala who was killed in 2010 along with his girlfriend, Marina Barajas.
The fleeing driver responsible for the crash, Shaun Kollman, was sentenced to 51 years in prison.
If the council says the agreement is acceptable, the city's insurance carrier will pay the full settlement amount -- no taxpayer dollars will be used.
- Richland fireworks volunteers hoping to give back with proceeds
- Evacuation orders in place for Selah fire
- Police looking to arrest meth possession, delivery suspect
- Crews intensify search for missing Union Gap woman
- Deal in principle reached on Washington state operating budget
- Global cyberattack: What you need to know