Another candidate for Congress makes a formal bid this afternoon.
Estakio Beltran made the announcement in downtown Yakima this afternoon.
Beltran is seeking the 4th Congressional District seat, which will be up for grabs following Doc Hastings' retirement.
Beltran grew up in the Yakima Valley and is a former aide to Senator Maria Cantwell.
Beltran, a Democrat, says he aims to present a new choice for the predominantly Republican voters in our area.
"I think that there are a lot of disenfranchised voters out there, and in years past, we felt like there hasn't been a real choice," said Beltran, "What I want to do is bring a real choice between viable candidates into this race, and I think once people get to know me, they'll realize that I am one of those viable candidates."
He will run against more than a dozen other candidates for congress this fall.
- Yakama Nation's fuel tax exemption sought by state
- Yakima's end of Ramadan celebration
- Hit-and-run sends Wapato man to hospital
- Domestic Violence Services seeks air mattress donations
- Walla Walla General Hospital breaks its silence following closure announcement
- State responds to letter from West Richland regarding pot shop location