The Yakima County Sheriff announces he will not be running for re-election at the end of the year.
Sheriff Ken irwin making the anouncement at the county commissioners meeting -- he has served as the sheriff since 2001.
Irwin says he will be almost 65 years old by the time his term is up, and wants to take time to travel and write before considering working a less public job.
"It has been such an awesome challenge, very enjoyable," said Irwin, "Somebody says, 'are you still having fun?' I had very little fun in the office of sheriff, it's just not a fun job. It's enjoyable, it's challenging, it's everything you'd want."
I says he isn't one hundred percent sure who he will support as the next candidate for sheriff -- the candidates will be selected in the August primary.
- Does the Dubai Frame depict an ugly picture?
- Legislature passes bill targeting prohibited gun buyers
- Mother of South Carolina murder suspect dies
- Doctor's arrest brings attention to US female circumcisions
- North Korea detains US citizen; at least 3rd American being held
- Islamic Center burglarized in West Richland