(CNN) - Michael Phelps is fast, but can he outswim a shark?
The Olympian will help kick off Discovery's Shark Week in July.
"He is our greatest champion to ever get in the water: Michael Phelps. 39 world records. 23 Olympic golds. But he has one competition left to win," a news release from the network reads. "An event so monumental no one has ever attempted it before. The world's most decorated athlete takes on the ocean's most efficient predator: Phelps V Shark -- the race is on!"
The eight-day marathon of all things sharks begins July 23.
Celebrating its 29th anniversary, the very popular Shark Week will for the first time be airing during the same week on Discovery Channel in more than 220 countries and territories.
Phelps will appear in two specials, "Phelps vs. Shark: Great Gold vs Great White" and "Shark School with Michael Phelps."
The latter will find Phelps learning about the creatures at the Bimini Shark Lab in the Bahamas.
And he's not the only celeb set to participate.
Actor Chris Noth will also sink his teeth into the programming, the network said.
Other specials will include titles such as "Great White Shark Serial Killer Lives," "Shark Vortex" and "Alien Sharks: Stranger Fins."
- Tri-City Americans picked 9th, 16th overall in NHL draft
- Devils pick Hischier No. 1 overall in NHL Draft
- Trump drives golf cart on putting green
- Prosecutors ask to reinstate Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction
- Green Bay confident city can host successful NFL Draft
- Man tattoos LeBron James' crying face on his leg
- Frank Ntilikina: Drafted one day, playing for title in France the next
- Trump nominates Woody Johnson as ambassador to the UK
- Devils in good position in stacked NHL draft
- Jets owner Johnson nominated as ambassador to Britain
- Chiefs coach Andy Reid receives extension
- Former Arizona State coach Kush dies