17-year-old charged in shootout that injured 3 officers

17-year-old charged in shootout that injured 3 officers
Q13 Fox

A 17-year-old girl has been charged as an adult in connection to the robbery-turned-shootout that left three Seattle police officers wounded and her older brother dead.

Adrianna Butts is being held in custody on charges of first-degree robbery and third-degree assault. Her bail was set at $250,000 bail on Tuesday.

The girl told police she and her 19-year-old brother Damarius Butts decided to go into a 7-Eleven to steal food and beer last Friday. She then gave her brother her loaded gun, adding that she didn’t have the heart to show the gun to the clerk and her brother did, according to court documents obtained by Q13 Fox.

Those court documents continue to say the siblings grabbed doughnuts, beer and other merchandise. The store clerk followed them outside and grabbed Adrianna, at which point Damarius lifted his shirt and flashed the pistol. He told the clerk to let his sister go and the clerk complied. They walked a short distance from the store and stopped to smoke cigarettes when the police showed up.

The siblings started to run, leaving the stolen items behind with a third suspect, and an officer grabbed her brother. She told police she struck the officer in the head with a soda bottle and put him in a chokehold until he let her brother go. She was detained and her brother continued to run.

Adrianna claims she did not witness the shooting between her brother and the officers. Police said her brother began to shoot and police returned fire. Damarius’s body was found in a building he ran into.

The girl’s bail is posted exceptionally high despite her lack of a previous criminal record because she demonstrated a serious threat to the community during the incident, prosecutors said.

The suspect believed to have received the stolen goods while the siblings ran was released without charges pending further investigation, documents said.

Two of the three injured officers were treated at Harborview Medical Center on Friday. The third was in serious but stable condition as of Friday, but has since asked the media not to publicize his condition.