Benton-Franklin Health District lifts restrictions at Scooteney Reservoir
The Scooteney Reservoir is back open for recreation after being closed for over two weeks due to an algae bloom.
Located between Othello and Connell, the park was closed on August 16.
According to the health district, they have tested the water regularly since the algae was found, and toxin levels are now considered safe for swimming and fishing.
The health district says the water tested positive for toxic levels of mycrocystin, which they say is dangerous for small children and animals.
They say swimmers should still “remain vigilant, and assess water conditions before entering… The water is not safe to consume and children should be instructed not to put it in their mouths or swallow it.”
Benton-Franklin Health District will continue to monitor the reservoir.