Blood donations have dried up because of the CORONAVIRUS outbreak. Our blood supply is dangerously low everywhere. To help out, KAPP-KVEW LOCAL NEWS is teaming up with our friends at the AMERICAN RED CROSS. If you are able to donate, please set up an appointment with the American Red Cross. Click here to reserve a time. You may have to adjust the website to your zip code.
As we are all concerned about going places during this troubled time, here’s a special note from The American Red Cross about safety at a blood drive:
We understand why people may be hesitant to come out for a blood drive, but want to reassure the public that we have implemented additional precautions to ensure the safety of our donors and staff in response to concern, including:
- Checking the temperature of staff and donors before entering a drive to make sure they are healthy
- Providing hand sanitizer for use before the drive, as well as throughout the donation process
- Spacing beds, where possible, to follow social distancing practices between blood donors, and
- Increasing enhanced disinfecting of surfaces and equipment.
- We also want to emphasize that at each blood drive and donation center, Red Cross employees already follow thorough safety protocols to help prevent the spread of any type of infection.
These strict safety protocols include:
- Wearing gloves and changing gloves with each donor
- Routinely wiping down donor-touched areas
- Using sterile collection sets for every donation, and
- Preparing the arm for donation with an aseptic scrub
- All of these mitigation measures will help ensure the safety of all those at a blood drive or center.
- There is no evidence and there are no reported cases of the coronavirus – or any respiratory virus – being transmitted by a blood transfusion