Bones recovered in remote Yakima County linked to man who went missing in 2018
YAKIMA, Wash. — After bones were recovered by Search & Rescue crews in a secluded region of Yakima County in the middle of last year, DNA analysis confirmed the remains belonged to a man who was reported missing back in 2018.
KAPP-KVEW’s Emily Goodell spoke with Yakima County Coroner Jim Curtice, who offered a full detail of the timeline. Then-27-year-old Michael Thompson of Yakima County went missing four years ago.
His abandoned car was located off S.R. 410 during an investigation following his initial disappearance. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) states that Thompson was reportedly on his way to the Lewiston-Clarkston Valley in Idaho at the time of his disappearance.
Search and Rescue crews periodically searched the vast terrain in Yakima County for clues on this case. It wasn’t until June 2021 that crews recovered bones near Morris Creek in remote Yakima County.
The remains were cross-referenced with dental records and DNA analysis to help identify who this individual was. It wasn’t until an odontologist visited the region to work on the case that a positive ID was confirmed.
However, the cause and manner of Thompson’s death have not been uncovered. As a result, it’s unclear whether foul play was a factor in this death. With that being the case, Search and Rescue teams are still surveying these regions of Yakima County to uncover more remains.
RECENT HEADLINES FROM THE KAPP-KVEW NEWS STAFF:
- Woman ejected from car dies in Union Gap following altercation inside vehicle
- “Shoot Me!” Accused Finley prowler taunted Benton Co. deputies before arrest
- Judge dismisses Hanford, PNNL lawsuit aiming to stop COVID-19 vaccine mandates
- Teenager punched Kennewick police officer in the face after lurking on private property
- Hop Country Music Festival—Central Washington’s next big draw—benefits Yakima’s youth athletics
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY YAKTRINEWS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.