Home and Garden

Plastic bag ban passes Washington Senate

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - A ban on single-use plastic bags has passed the state Senate.Lawmakers approved the measure 31-14 Tuesday, sending it to the state House.The bill would ban stores from giving out single-use plastic bags starting in 2020 and require an 8-cent charge for other bags handed out.

Do you own a home in Pasco? Your insurance premiums could be going down

Pasco's new-and-improved fire protection rating is now official, and it could affect homeowner's insurance for local residents.The Washington Surveying and Rating Bureau (WSRB) evaluates all communities in the state every five years for their fire protection and suppression capability. Pasco…

Benton REA celebrates first community solar project in West Richland

A group in West Richland is taking steps toward bringing clean energy to the community.Members of the Benton Rural Electric Association held a ribbon-cutting on Friday for the association's new community solar project, the first of its kind. Electricity generated…

Volunteers hosting community cleanup event in Yakima neighborhood

Several volunteers in one Yakima neighborhood will be hosting a community cleanup event next Saturday.Safe Yakima Valley, a nonprofit organization, will be driving trucks to pick up any trash, brush or bulky items that need to be thrown out.This service…

Powering your home and saving money with solar panels

The technology behind solar panels is growing at a rapid pace. "The reality is what we're using right now has been around for 140 to 150 years," says Chris the Solar Guy, owner of Solgen Power. "We're powering through our…

Yakima apartment fire displaces family

A family is homeless following an apartment fire in Yakima.Yakima Fire Department responded to the apartment fire at the 3100 Block of Castlevale Road around 7:43 p.m. Monday.All occupants were outside of the apartment when crews arrived. Two small dogs…

Family escapes devastating Pasco house fire

Several fire crews responded to a massvie fire at 520 Douglas Avenue in Pasco just after 7 a.m. Wednesday.The back of the home was fully engulfed and the front of the home was half engulfed.Adam Rolon, a resident of the…

Fire officials offer safety tips during Burn Awareness Week

It's Burn Awareness week and local fire departments want you to be informed.According to the American Burn Association, around 480,000 people end up in the hospital every year because of burns. Many of those are kids, and the accidents usually…

Family of 4 displaced in Yakima house fire

The Yakima Fire Department responded to a house fire in the 900 Blk of Hanraty Drive at 9:09 p.m. Officials report the fire began in a bedroom in the basement of the home and appears to be accidental.The home sustained…