Cigarette likely sparked fire on apartment deck in Kennewick, official says
KENNEWICK, Wash. — Kennewick fire investigators believe a cigarette not put out properly was the likely cause of an apartment fire that displaced two families.
Around 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, multiple fire agencies responded to reports of a massive blaze on the deck of an apartment. The second story balcony at On The Boulevard Apartments grew quickly, according to the Kennewick Fire Department.
The fire damaged one apartment significantly and did minor damage to another.
According to Capt. Brian Ellis with Kennewick Fire, the cause will be deemed undetermined due to a couple of things that can’t be pinpointed. However, a cigarette is the most likely cause.
“The only likely ignition source is a cigarette not properly put out with combustibles nearby, based on witness statements and what I observed,” Ellis said. “But it’ll still be undetermined because we can’t 100% rule out other things on the deck.”
Ellis said one of the homeowners admitted to smoking on the deck prior to the fire.
Everyone made it out of the apartment safely. No one was injured.