Horn Rapids power restored + outage was caused by faulty cable
UPDATE: Power has been restored to all customers in the Horn Rapids area as of 4:42 p.m., according to the City of Richland.
The outage was caused by a faulty cable, leaving residential and commercial customers without power for at least three hours in 105+ degree weather on Wednesday afternoon.
“Thank you so much for your patience as our dedicated Energy Services staff worked to identify the problem and restore power,” City of Richland officials stated online.
RICHLAND, Wash. — Community members in the Horn Rapids area of the Tri-Cities are without power on Wednesday afternoon for an unspecified issue that cut electricity during extreme heat.
According to the City of Richland, line crews first responded to Horn Rapids between 1 o’clock and 1:20 p.m. on July 27, 2022. City officials said that crews would work to assess the issue and provide more information later on.
Several hours later, the cause remains unspecified to the general public. City of Richland crews are on the scene as of 3:22 p.m. PST, when the city provided the following update:
Crews continue to work on fixing the issue. Please take extra precautions to keep your home from heating up by closing window shades and blinds and limit opening the refrigerator and/or freezer.
KAPP-KVEW’s First Alert Weather team confirms that temperatures in the West Richland/Richland area are at 105 degrees as of 3:30 p.m.
City officials ask that concerned community members refrain from calling the city as this is an ongoing issue that they are actively addressing. Emergency responders do not have anything to do with power outages. Therefore, you should not call 911 in case of an outage.
If you need to report an outage from Mon. to Fri between 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., you can call 509-942-7421. If you are calling after hours, you can contact 509-943-4428.
Anyone who needs a place to cool down can visit the following locations in Richland and West Richland. Each of these locations have been established as cooling centers for community members in need.
- Enterprise Middle School
- 5200 Paradise Way, West Richland, WA 99353
- Open from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Tues. July 26 to Fri. July 29
- Richland City Hall
- 625 Swift Blvd., Richland, WA 99352
- Open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Mon. to Fri.
- Richland Community Center
- 500 Amon Park Drive, Richland, WA 99352
- Open from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Mon to Fri
- 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Sat. and Noon to 4:00 p.m. on Sun.
- Richland Public Library
- 955 Northgate Drive, Richland, WA 99352
- Mon. to Thurs. – 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., open until 6:00 p.m. Friday
- Open from 10 to 5 p.m. on Saturday, 12 to 5 p.m. Sunday
- Lobby offers public access to water fountains, restrooms, seating and Wi-Fi
- Tapteal Elementary School
- 705 N 62nd Ave, West Richland, WA 99353
RECENT HEADLINES FROM THE KAPP-KVEW NEWS STAFF:
- Tri-Cities first Popeyes set to open off U.S. 395 in Kennewick
- Eastern Washington vineyards thrive in heat wave—here’s why!
- I-82 preservation project will create detours from Yakima to Selah
- Richland Police arrest suspect accused of stabbing two people, killing one
- Ellensburg armed robbery suspect used fake gun to steal from grocery store
BEAT THE HEAT: A complete guide on overcoming extreme temperatures
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY YAKTRINEWS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.