City of Sunnyside fires police chief amid reports of misconduct
SUNNYSIDE, Wash. — The City of Sunnyside has announced the termination of its Police Chief.
Albert Escalera had served as police chief since 2014.
In a press release, the City of Sunnyside said an increase in crime, police shootings and reports of misconduct within the police department had led to the decision to fire the chief.
City Manager Elizabeth Alba also said there was a lack of trust and cohesion between herself and Escalera.
Police Sergeant Robert Layman will serve as acting police chief until a permanent replacement is named.
Meanwhile, Police Commander Scott Bailey has been placed on administrative leave while an internal investigation into misconduct takes place.
The City says Bailey’s leave is not disciplinary.
TOP HEADLINES FROM THE KAPP-KVEW NEWS STAFF:
- Carbon monoxide poisoning sends 2 people to Kennewick hospital
- Fire crews from the Tri-Cities, Benton County battle overnight house fire
- Moses Lake gang member will spend 11 years in prison for distributing meth
- Widespread damage reported across the Tri-Cities, Benton and Franklin Counties
- Police searching for man wanted for murder, connected to homicide at Yakima hotel
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY YAKTRINEWS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.