Feds issue big fine to 2 Yakima County fruit companies
Stadelman Fruit LLC was fined $238,875 by the Environmental Protection Agency, while Hollingbery and Sons Inc. and the related Hollingbery CA and Cold Storage LLC were penalized a total of $118,200.
The Capital Press reported the federal Emergency Planning and Community Right-To-Know Act requires companies that store hazardous chemicals to submit the forms by March 1 to state and local emergency planners, and the local fire department.
Bud Hollingbery, president of the Hollingbery companies, said Friday his businesses have been sending in the information for years. In 2020, the employee who files the forms had a family emergency, and the forms weren’t submitted until May 12, he said.
By then, according to EPA, the Hollingbery companies had committed 12 violations .
Stadelman Fruit also was fined for missing the March 1, 2020, reporting deadline for its four cold-storage facilities in Zillah. Stadelman agreed to settle, but also did not admit to the allegations. Efforts to obtain comment from the company were unsuccessful.
Congress passed the Right-To-Know Act in 1986, two years after a chemical disaster in Bhopal, India, killed thousands.
TUESDAY MORNING HEADLINES:
- Two people shot in Walla Walla, two suspects in custody
- Richland homes evacuated after firework catches tree on fire
- Man steals bus, then steals front-end loader and crashes into house
- POLL: Have you considered homeschooling your children?
- Biles withdraws from gymnastics final to protect team, self
YAKIMA COUNTY HEADLINES:
- Injured shooting victim in Yakima shot responding officer, investigators say
- Yakima Police officer shot during altercation with suspect
- A breath of fresh air: art display brings people to Yakima Greenway
- Yakima County COVID-19 hospitalizations still high
Watch Now: Massive sandstorm engulfs ancient city
Most Popular: Messy campsite draws bear; woman fined $5.8K
COPYRIGHT 2021 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.