Fire destroys Union Gap home, family of 4 was ‘very lucky to escape’

Fire destroys Union Gap home, family of 4 was ‘very lucky to escape’
Fire destroys Union Gap home, family of 4 was 'very lucky to escape'

A family of four in Union Gap is temporarily without a home after their house was destroyed by fire in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Fire arrived to smoke and flames pouring from the back of a single story house at 4001 S. 3rd Street just after 5 a.m. Damage to the attic, walls and electrical wiring rendered the home unlivable, according to a news release.

The fire burned about a quarter of the house’s exterior and attic. The rest of the home was done in by smoke and heat damage.

All the residents managed to escape unharmed. One was examined for smoke inhalation but didn’t require medical attention.

“Crews that searched the building did not find or hear any functioning smoke alarms. This family was very lucky to escape this morning,” Yakima Fire Department spokesman Jeff Pfaff said.

It took 19 firefighters over two hours to completely extinguish the fire and overhaul burned debris to investigate.

Damage totaled an estimated $75,000, more than half the total worth of the property.

The family is currently receiving help from the American Red Cross.