Fire destroys Walla Walla home
WALLA WALLA, Wash. — An unknown problem 911 received leads to the response of the Walla Walla Fire Department.
Dispatchers got a call after midnight on Sunday and heard yelling in the background. The call came from the area of Fifth Avenue and Sumach Street. Police got to the scene and found a four-plex up in flames. All of the families were evacuated.
One person was sent to the hospital for smoke inhalation. According to Capt. Eric Wood with Walla Walla Fire, the cause was a space heater that was too close to combustibles.
He said there were no smoke detectors in the apartments.
”Luckily, there was someone that heard the lady yelling for help,” Wood said.
The fire started in a first-floor apartment, but the damage went through the others. Six people were displaced.
COPYRIGHT 2019 BY KAPP-KVEW. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.