Fire near Thorp burns 57 acres
THORP, Wash — Firefighters from Upper Kittitas County have responded to a brush fire in the Sunlight Waters area northwest of Thorp.
The Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) says it’s assisting Kittitas County Fire District 1 (KCFD 1) in handling the blaze, which is estimated to have burned 57 acres.
No official word has been provided by either party about the containment of the fire — no updates either concerning evacuations.
For much of the afternoon, helicopters have doused the fire from the air. The DNR indicating on Twitter that both it and KCFD 1 have air and ground resources at the scene. As of 3:16 p.m., crews were working to construct a line.
Due to the heat, dry conditions, and moderate winds, fire danger is considered Very High to Extreme across Eastern Washington on Sunday.
Check back for updates to this story as it develops
RECENT NEWS HEADLINES FROM THE KAPP-KVEW NEWS STAFF:
- It’s Water Follies weekend! Here’s what you should know
- 100 pets up for adoption Saturday at PetSmart in Kennewick
- Ellensburg veteran wins $100,000 through WA vaccine lottery
- Tri-Cities residents can get Seattle Seahawks tickets at a reduced price
- REPORT: Average price of Tri-Cities home is $80,000+ greater than last year
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY YAKTRINEWS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.