Fire officials: vent fans pose serious fire hazzard

vent fan fire hazzard
Fire officials: vent fans pose serious fire hazzard

A Pasco family who was displaced by a fire Monday, is now causing fire officials to warn community members about their bathroom and kitchen fans.

Pasco Fire Department now says an exhaust fan in the bathroom caused the fire at the families home located on the 4500 block of West Henry Street in Pasco around 2:00 p.m.

Flames were mostly contained to the attic but still caused extensive damage.

Assistant Pasco Fire Chief, Dave Hare, says this can happen to anyone so it’s important to have an upkeep schedule.

“So what we’re hoping to get is people to clean the fans on a regular basis, make sure if they have any electrical problems with the fans if it doesn’t come on immediately. Or if they notice something different about the fans operating that their calling their electricians,” Assistant Pasco Fire Chief, Dave Hare, said.

Vent fans should be cleaned out every six months, if you notice a burning smell you should get help right away.

You can also unscrew the vent, remove the cover, and use a vacuum on the dust before it creates a fire hazard.