Injured climber on Mt. Adams rescued near Upper Crescent Glacier

MOUNT ADAMS, Wash. — Yakima County Search and Rescue (SAR) was deployed to help an injured climber reported near the Upper Crescent Glacier on Mount Adams on Tuesday morning.

According to a press release issued by the Yakima County Sheriff’s Department on Thursday, deputies received a third-party report of an injured climber on Mount Adams at about 7 a.m. on May 18, 2021. Initial reports suggested that the climber was unable to walk and may have torn one of their anterior cruciate ligaments (ACL).

Luckily, the patient was with six other experienced climbers who helped to administer first aid and keep the climber safe. However, it was difficult for local authorities to pinpoint the exact location of the party. To make matters more difficult, whiteout conditions in the region made visibility difficult in the region surrounding Mt. Adams.

RELATED: Walla Walla man rescued at Palouse Falls after being struck by ‘football size’ rock

Due to the party’s condition and proximity to dangerous terrain, Search and Rescue teams were deployed. They arrived at the Morrison Creek Campground on Mt. Adams at approximately 1:30 p.m. that afternoon. Five crew members from Central Washington Mountain Rescue were deployed up the mountain to recover the injured individual.

They brought the injured person to a safe place where ATV and Snowmobile teams could extract them from the area. Once the entire group was evacuated off the mountain, the victim was brought to the closest nearby hospital for medical care.

The preparedness of the climbers prevailed in this instance, but the Yakima County Sheriff’s Office wants to use this as a reminder that climbing Mount Adams can be extremely dangerous — Even for those experienced in climbing.

No further information on the status of the injured person was revealed at this time. Local authorities extended their thanks to the volunteers who saved this party from treacherous conditions.


RELATED: ‘Hug your young ones’ — Moses Lake boy’s death a reminder of gun safety