KAPP/KVEW is seeking a motivated and innovative News Director to lead our news team in overseeing all aspects of daily news operation including developing quality multi-platform content for coverage of our local communities. The successful candidate must have sound journalistic ethics and editorial judgment and the ability to communicate a compelling and inspired vision consistent with company strategy. This opportunity is located in the Tri-Cities which is a booming metropolitan area in southeast WA where the sun shines 300 days of the year! Tri-Cities offers amazing outdoor views, cultural diversity and is known as the “Heart of Washington Wine Country.” Yakima, WA and Kennewick, WA are ideal markets for new journalists to launch their careers, so our News Director must have the ability to lead, coach, motivate and develop the news team while fostering an environment of creativity, teamwork and high ethical standards.
TITLE: News Director
HOURS: Full Time
REPORTS TO: VP/GM
- Create & implement strategic plans for audience growth and newsroom operations.
- Strategically lead and manage News Department including setting budgets and establishing goals.
- Communicate a compelling and inspired vision consistent with company strategy.
- Analyze and respond to trends affecting the industry and DMA.
- Build and maintain key relationships to foster a positive news image within the community.
- Monitor all on-air and online product for compliance to Federal, State and local laws as well as First Amendment.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in posting content to station websites.
- Ability to adapt current resources to emerging technology.
- Attract, retain and develop top talent.
- Promote an environment of creativity, teamwork and high ethical standards.
- Review daily newscasts to ensure quality control and brand compliance and provide feedback to all news staff.
- Collaborate with other departments in the development and implementation of multi-platform products to grow audience and engagement, and help the brand to achieve and sustain its business and revenue goals.
- 4 year degree with an emphasis in Journalism or equivalent.
- Minimum five years of journalism experience required.
- 3+ years of current digital media experience.
- Must have a working knowledge of journalistic ethics, libel, and privacy laws.
- Strong ethical standards and integrity are a must.
- A broad-based knowledge of journalism and related standards, the news media environment and audience consumption trends.
- Solid understanding of social media and digital platforms.
- Exceptional leadership and management skills with previous experience building teams, hiring, developing and retaining employees.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- The ability to speak conversational Spanish a plus.
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be accepted until position is filled
*PLEASE SPECIFY REFERRAL SOURCE IN YOUR COVER LETTER
*NO TELEPHONE CALLS PLEASE
KAPP/KVEW TV IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER