Kennewick fire crews put out smokey fire in local carniceria

KENNEWICK, Wash. — Fire crews responded to a smoking commercial structure fire at Carniceria 3 Pueblos, a local butcher shop, at 2446 W. Kennewick Ave around 12:30 a.m. on Friday.

A passerby noticed a slight amount of smoke coming from the building and reported it to the Kennewick Fire Department (KFD), which deployed crews for a possible structure fire. When KFD crews arrived on the scene, they quickly upgraded the status to a commercial structure fire as first responders observed heavy smoke stemming from the front door.

Crews responded from separate fire districts including Benton County Fire District #1, Richland Fire & Emergency Services, and the Pasco Fire Department.

RELATED: Richland wildfires may have begun at homeless camp; damaged over 235 acres

The first arriving crew quickly accessed the building and discovered the source of the fire — A grease pan sitting atop the stove. Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames, containing the spread of the fire before it spread to other sections of the building. Crews then pivoted to clearing smoke from the building before it spread to structural components of the carniceria.

Kennewick firefighters confirmed that the source of the fire was the unattended grease pot left on the stove.

KFD officials would like to remind the public that cooking fires are the leading cause of fires in the Tri-Cities. Additionally, they are the leading cause of fires nationally. Research from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) shows that 40 percent of businesses that sustain a fire never re-open and that 25 percent of businesses impacted by a fire close within a year of re-opening.

Be careful when operating in a kitchen — Especially in a commercial setting like a restaurant or a butcher shop.

RECENT NEWS HEADLINES FROM THE KAPP-KVEW NEWS STAFF:

RELATED: Prosser fire: meat locker destroyed, damage to police dept. is ‘extensive’