Lit cigarette sparks garage fire in Benton City

Lit cigarette sparks garage fire in Benton City
Photo: Benton County Sheriff's Office

A lit cigarette is to blame for a garage fire in Benton City.

Around 10:45 p.m, on Thursday, Benton County firefighters responded to a detached garage fire near 11th and Della Street.

They later found out that the fire was sparked by a renter who was smoking while working in the shop.

The Benton County Sheriff’s Office explained that he had apparently put the cigarette down and forgot about it.

The garage was fully engulfed in flames.

Firefighters were able to put out the fire out before it was a total loss.