Man, dog die from carbon monoxide poisoning while cooking in van, coroner says

Man, dog die from carbon monoxide poisoning while cooking in van, coroner says
NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-ND 2.0)
The coroner said David Dana, 61, was using an outdoor heater similar to this one (above) to cook a roast right before he and his dog died. (Photo via Flickr)

KENNEWICK, Wash. — A 61-year-old man and his dog were found dead in a van from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning on Thursday, according to Benton County Coroner Bill Leach.

David Dana had been living in van with his yellow Labrador retriever in a friend’s driveway on the 6400 block of W. First Ave.

He was using a Mr. Heater brand heater, which was hooked up to a five-gallon propane tank, to cook a roast on a skillet inside his van right before his death Thursday morning, Leach said, adding that carbon monoxide is an odorless gas.

He said the van did not have enough ventilation for the type of heater he was using.

Dana’s friend found him dead in the van around 2:20 p.m. The friend had to smash out the van’s windows because the doors were locked.

Leach is reminding the public to know how devices are supposed to be used and whether they are okay to be used indoors.

READ: Deputies rescue dog from burning car on I-90 while heading to Yakima

READ: Teen charged with felony assault for peeing in classmate’s water bottle

READ: DUI driver enters wrong side of Taco Bell drive-thru, gets stuck

Comments

comments