Nationwide arrest warrant issued for convicted child rapist
William George Nicol, 79, never returned to a Benton County courtroom following his trial on charges of child rape and molestation.
The Benton County Sheriff’s office said on Oct. 21 Nicol left the Benton County Justice Center during a court recess, while the jury was deliberating. Nicol was not in the courtroom when the jury found him guilty of two counts of first degree child rape and one count of first degree child molestation of a grade school boy for at least four years.
A judge has issued a nationwide arrest warrant for the Montana man. He had been out of custody after posting $10,000 bail during trial.
“This particular deputy prosecutor, she’s had three in the last year that have failed to show up for a verdict or have ran out of the court room,” said Sgt. Bob Broackman with the Benton County Sheriff’s Office.
The Tri-City Herald reports the other two still have not been captured.
“He may have had that feeling that things weren’t going well for him and that the verdict was going to be a guilty verdict for him and he may have decided that he didn’t want to pay the consequences and his debt to society,” said Brockman.