YAKIMA, Wash. - A Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals recipient, filled out her paper work to run for the Yakima City Council.
On Thursday afternoon Yakima resident Rocío Carrion filed to run for city council for district one.
Carrion is a DACA recipient which doesn’t allow her to hold a seat in city council but she said that the reason why she doing it is because she feels that her community needs a voice.
“Even though I’m not eligible as a non-citizen to run as a candidate I am here with the full intention to run for city council and if I am eligible to I will run,” said Carrion.
If Carrion is allow to run for city council, she would be the first DACA recipient to be part of the Yakima City Council.
- Trump bars California from setting stricter fuel standards
- Feds propose major habitat protections for killer whales
- 4 students taken to hospital after medical emergency at Wapato Middle School, official says
- Auntie Anne's is having a $1 pretzel day at Kennewick mall this weekend
- New "Bru": Buy a beer, get a pineapple