BENTON COUNTY, Wash. - A body found inside a burning vehicle Sunday night belongs to a woman estimated to be in her 80s, according to Benton County Fire District #1.
Firefighters were called to the scene off South Nicoson Road before 10 p.m. where they found a natural cover fire burning next to a vehicle in flames. As crews began to put out the fire, they discovered the body inside.
A preliminary investigation shows the woman likely drove into a ditch, and her vehicle's catalytic converter caught the grass underneath on fire. This has yet to be confirmed, said fire spokeswoman Tracy Baker.
The Benton County Coroner's Office is working to identify the body and determine the cause of death. The identity is expected to be released by Wednesday morning.
- Woman who befriended many Walla Walla cancer patients dies at 96
- Kids help rescue terribly skinny cat in West Richland
- Police say Calif. school shooter dies of his injuries
- Oregon grocery manager shot and killed, police arrest fired worker
- Yakima author partners with bookstore to provide Thanksgiving meals for the homeless