UPDATE (8:15 a.m.): The Washington State Department of Natural Resources says the Cold Creek Fire has burned about 15,000 acres near Hanford. The fire is estimated to be 10 percent contained.
The previous road closures have been lifted and the roads have been reopened.
The U.S. Department of Energy, which manages #Hanford Site, reported the #ColdCreekFire is not affecting on-site operations. The fire is near Rattlesnake Mountain on the Hanford Site, and was most recently reported at 15,000 acres burned. @EcologyWA #WAwildfire #wildfire pic.twitter.com/0kNrLohRek— Ecology - Hanford (@ecyHanford) July 19, 2019
UPDATE (6:55 p.m.): The Washington State Department of Natural Resources says the Cold Creek Fire has burned about 8,000 acres near Hanford.
BENTON COUNTY, Wash. - A wildfire has resulted in transportation officials closing multiple local highways Thursday afternoon.
Officials said the fire started on State Route 24 near milepost 27 about 30 miles east of Yakima at about 2:05 p.m. Winds are blowing the fire southerly.
The fire is estimated to be at least 1,000 acres in size, according to the Washington State Department of Natural Resources.
The DNR has dubbed it the Cold Creek Fire.
- S.R. 24 is closed between the junctions of S.R. 243 at the Vernita Bridge and S.R. 241.
- S.R. 240 is closed at milepost 20 just north of Richland
The closure of S.R. 240 could bring delays for Hanford workers who live in the Tri-Cities.
A Hanford patrol officer said the fire is moving rapidly. WSDOT is diverting traffic.
Dan Haas with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service says air resources have been deployed, including three helicopters and three heavy air tankers.
Haas said the Bureau of Land Management, Fish and Wildlife and Hanford Fire are on scene. KAPP-KVEW has also seen several local agencies heading to the fire to assist.
This is a developing story.
- Netflix comedian Jo Koy coming to Tri-Cities
- 'Sara, if you are listening, please come home': Family of missing Spokane teen begs for her return
- Neo-Nazi group posts flyers outside of Spokane church
- Tractor dangles off embankment following crash; traffic slow along I-82 in Plymouth
- Woman crashes in Benton County while trying to avoid animal