PROSSER, Wash. - A 13-year-old has been arrested after police claimed the student made phone calls about an active shooter and a bomb threat at a middle school.
According to information from the Prosser Police Department, officers responded to a report of an active shooter at Housel Middle School just after 7 a.m. The Benton County Sheriff's Office also responded to the scene.
After a search by authorities, it was determined there was no threat to the school. They said they also checked surrounding schools and found there was no credible or active threat.
Authorities were already investigating a bomb threat that had been called in Thursday for Housel Middle School and said they believed the two threats were made by the same student. That student was arrested at the middle school Friday.
According to the Benton County Sheriff's Office, the student is accused of making three separate calls in the last two days about threats to the schools. They said the student will be charged for each one of the calls they made.
Housel Middle School resumed classes just before 10 a.m. and said they take every threat seriously because "the safety and security of your students is always our highest priority."
Authorities said they want people to know even calling in a threat is serious and those who make threats will face consequences.
"We want our community to know they are safe," the Benton County Sheriff's Office said in a social media post Friday.